WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
Novels (60K to 95K words) and novellas (20K to 40K words) with a speculative element or gothic twist. We enjoy strong, distinctive voices. Send us a clean manuscript that’s been through careful editing—but don’t smooth off all the interesting bits!
Creative nonfiction (60K to 95K words). Right now we are particularly seeking narratives that focus on the immigrant experience, mental health, or connecting across generations/reconnecting to family roots.
We cannot respond to individual inquiries asking whether or not you should submit a given manuscript. If you’ve familiarized yourself with our catalog and the guidelines contained here, and you think your story might be a good fit, go ahead and send it to us!
Things we’d be especially tickled to see this time around:
- Tropical gothic
- Shirley Jackson-esque horror in the vein of THE QUELLING
- Difficult or serious subject matter approached with respectful humor, as in THE VAMPIRE GIDEON’S SUICIDE HOTLINE
- #ownvoices depictions of neurodivergence
- Nature writing that explores the line between solitude and isolation
- Fiction that incorporates the mythology and folklore of Southeast Asia
Things we already tend to see too much of:
- Creative nonfiction from the perspective of a white American experiencing life in another country
- Work that takes a voyeuristic approach to human suffering, especially sexual violence
- Work that tries to prove its value as serious art by obsessing over the most bleak and depressing aspects of life
Things we do not consider:
- Short story collections
- Young adult fiction
- Manuscripts shorter than 18,000 words
- Graphic novels
- Stories that perpetuate racist, misogynist, homophobic, and other discriminatory tropes
ABOUT THE SUBMISSION FEE: Our nominal administrative fee of $3 is used solely to support the cost of operating this Submittable portal.